Monday, April 19, 2010

Week 2 - Blog post #4 - Response to Erin Lodes Post

Erin Lodes wrote in her blog:


It’s interesting to me, in any reading I do, to observe the difference between what stands out to me most when I’m first reading and what lingers with me and still comes to mind several days later.
When I first read this, “Rule Number 6” stood out to me a lot, and I remember thinking how powerful it could be for me in general to remember not to take things so seriously. While I thought about it a lot as I read that chapter and continued to meditate on it throughout that day, I had forgotten it until I looked back at the reading now. What amuses me is that even today, in my forgetfulness, I need the reminder of that rule. I taught a workshop last night to a group of teachers about Digital Storytelling, and while it went fine and they loved it, I spent yesterday evening and most of today mentally dwelling on what I should have done differently, what should have been better, etc. While there is power to learning and growing in all that you do, I can be an extreme perfectionist who is merely frustrated that I wasn’t perfect the first time around. Remembering rule number six would be good for me, and I think I might try to post it around me as Ben mentions others doing.
What really stuck with me and popped into my mind even throughout my day today was the idea of “leading from any chair.” I think this stayed with me because the metaphor Ben is drawing from, of the second violinist who leads from his position, is a truth in my life each day as a band director. I look at students who sit in all different places, on twelve different instruments, and think about how they are all leaders. I have thought continuously in rehearsals about how I can help them be leaders from their chair, how I can empower and embolden them to take a role of musical leadership and pull the others around them into a fuller experience. I of course can relate to this concept in my own life as well, and can remember myself to lead from my own position, with the strengths that I have.

My Response:
Erin, I totally related to your post:). I am also a perfectionist and I feel that I gain my self worth through my perfection. I feel, for myself, it is a downfall because it brings unwanted stress and anxiety. I do the same exact thing after a presentation...rethink...realize...ponder...and replay from every angle. I also do this with most lessons I teach; even when they have turned out fine I look to enhance the engagement, excitement, and learning. A good mix of perfectionism and relaxation is good, but sometimes imperfection is picture perfect when it doesn't matter if it is perfect or not. Like children's artworks, and Zanders writing on Right and Wrong are man made ideas:)

No comments:

Post a Comment