Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Week 3 - Blog Post #5 - Response to Mark Benn


Mark Wrote:

Week 4-blog 6 Topic quickies


Topic #1: Briefly share what your dream teaching or presentation environment would be like, be specific about what such a place would include (beyond just the tech toys).

My dream assignment would be with colleagues that are interested in improving how they teach and discussing best practices. They go out and read the research on their own and then apply it to their pedagogy. Everyone would work as a team within the school to make 21st century learning a priority. Of course, we'd want the technology tools to go with all this including one to one computing. I'm tired of being basically the lone wolf when it comes to moving forward. Another important part of this environment would be administrators that shared our vision and worked hard to fulfill it. I don't care if it is K-12 or above this would be the environment I'd love to teach in.

My response:

Wouldn't that be wonderful Mark.  My favorite Art Professor in college is in the process of creating a brain based learning school.  Im not sure if it will be a charter/magnet/or private school, but he wants to teach all subjects through the creative process.  I told him if he comes to a point where he needs teachers let me know.  He lives in Glenn Michigan so it would be a stretch to drive that distance everyday, but the thought of teaching with individuals who love teaching so much that they are willing to create their own school entices me.  I fail to find that passion within most of my colleagues and if the passion is there it is for the "test scores" and moving up into administration.  I need to see the kids at heart of the teachers passion.  Loving kids just how they are.  Letting them learn in the easiest form for them may it be through play, computers, discovery, or creativity.  We adults want our students to learn in the easiest way possible for us.  You sit I tell you take test.  We need to be big kids and get dirty, have fun, and use the tools the students love.

No comments:

Post a Comment